Space Pirates and Zombies

Posted by Daeity On Tuesday, January 25, 2011

I just caught a glimpse of a new indie game in development called SPAZ: Space Pirates and Zombies.

I'm a _huge_ fan of the Star Control series, Solar Winds, Armada Online, Captain Forever, and most recently Starscape. "Most recently" meaning like 6 years ago.. I've been waiting for something similar for a long time and this one looks pretty bad-ass.

If those types of games interest you, you can find SPAZ screenshots here. (Note: There were some thumbnail issues when I tried to view the site, but if you keep drilling down you'll see the screenshots.)

Now normally, I shy away from indie games.. but this is the first one in years that I think I'm going to purchase. I really hope it lives up to my expectations. =]





The gameplay looks awesome but it doesn't appear to be a persistent universe (I'm guessing that you "jump" to each zone much like Starscape). That's the one thing I miss from Star Control - a wide open universe with far reaching and deep lore. I really hope they worked in a strong sci-fi storyline though, as that's one the reasons why Gratuitous Space Battles could never hold my interest. GSB seemed like it was better suited for mobile gaming platforms.

Still.. I really loved Starscape (it was zone based), so I'll be watching this one with great anticipation. I might have just found my new best friend. =]

* UPDATE:

Blorfy (one of the two creators) was kind enough to post some comments below (more details about the game.) Much appreciated. =]

Also, Total Biscuit has just reviewed a special demo put together by the SPAZ Team. You can check out Part 1 here to get started.